Rachel Sheahan, Food & Friends dietetic intern from Virginia Tech - March 1, 2018
March is National Nutrition Month® sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and this year, the theme is Go Further with Food:
● By planning meals and snacks in advance, your foods can go further and you can also help to reduce food loss and waste.
● Learning how to manage food resources at home will help you Go Further with Food while saving both nutrients and money.
Here are some tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on how YOU can go further with your food
● Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
● Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
● Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
Here are some other tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on how YOU can be the healthiest you in March
● Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
● Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
● Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
This year’s theme for National Nutrition Month® encourages us to achieve the numerous benefits healthy eating habits offer, but it also urges us to find ways to cut back on food waste.
Whether it’s starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a difference.
National Nutrition Month Celebration Kit. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Accessed January 2018.