Food & Friends provides medically-tailored meals, nutrition counseling, and friendship to people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-challenging illnesses. Our team of sixty employees and thousands of volunteers delivers meals and hope to people living in the District of Columbia and several counties across Maryland and Virginia. There is no charge or income qualification for our services, which are rendered solely on the basis of medical need.
We seek a Food Service Receiver and Shipping Coordinator to assist with inventory management and packaging meals for delivery. Specific duties include:
• receiving shipments of food and kitchen supplies, checking orders for accuracy, and inspecting food for quality and freshness;
• working with vendors to replace missing or damaged/expired goods;
• unpacking shipments of food and supplies, and storing them appropriately;
• taking inventory of food items and expiration dates to minimize shortages and waste;
• assessing and documenting temperatures of perishable food items and their storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers;
• cleaning and organizing food storage areas to maintain strict hygiene standards at all times; and
• packing home delivered meals for shipping to clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for a detail-oriented individual with an interest in food service to join the team of one of DC’s most prominent nonprofit organizations.
The successful candidate will have a high school diploma and at least two years of relevant experience. Other requirements include knowledge of sanitary food handling techniques and ability to pass a food handler’s exam; a keen sense for organization; ability to take notes and maintain written documentation; ability to operate a pallet jack; an appreciation for diversity; and ability to be physically mobile, stand for long periods of time, and regularly lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team. Offer of employment contingent upon a pre-employment drug test.
Food & Friends provides a competitive hourly rate and generous benefits. Our staff enjoys a high quality, diverse work environment that includes short Fridays and casual dress. Food & Friends is Metro accessible, and has free on-site parking.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mr. Lucas Ginn
Food & Friends
219 Riggs Road, NE
Washington, DC 20011
No phone calls, please
Food & Friends is an Equal Opportunity Employer